Sunday, February 26, 2012

My Goals for the Flipped Classroom

I think it's about time I actually verbalized the goals that I hope to accomplish (for myself and for my students) by using the Flipped Classroom.  Then, in June, I will have a measuring stick to see if my goals were actually met or not.  This is list still a work in progress and I will be adding to it as needed.  I will be starting a new tab on the top of my blog titled "Data" that will track the progress of these goals.

For Students:

Using the Flipped Classroom ideology will increase student understanding of the material as shown by:

  • An increase in the percentage of students receiving A's and B's on my Chapter/Unit Tests by an average of 5% over my 2010-2011 students (taught with a Traditional Classroom)
  • A decrease in the percentage of students receiving F's on my Chapter/Unit Tests by an average of 5% less my 2010-2011 students (taught with a Traditional Classroom)
  • An overall class average increase of 5% over my 2010-2011 students on each individual Chapter/Unit Test
Using the Flipped Classroom ideology will increase student motivation in math as shown by:
  • A decrease the number of homework cards students receive by 20% for the entire semester. (1st semester - 219, 230, 206 = 655 HW cards in 3 Algebra 1 classes; 113, 156 = 269 HW cards in 2 Math Analysis classes)
  • A consistent decrease in the number of homework cards students receive each week as we continue through the flipped classroom model.

For Myself:


Using the Flipped Classroom ideology will allow me as a teacher to:
  • Interact with every student (ALL of them) on a daily basis in at least a short math-related conversation.
  • Be able to more easily and readily assess student mastery of the content on a daily basis and provide the immediate support they need to succeed.
What are your thoughts on these goals?  Do you have similar goals for your students?  What are some goals I may be missing that I should consider setting?  All ideas and feedback welcome :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...